Monday, August 24, 2009

Am I a Creep or Have the Times Just Changed?


Here's the kind of anecdote my dad tells me about his childhood:

"When I was 11, I stole my dad's chewing tobacco and took it to the county fair. I didn't know what I doing, so I put the whole package in my mouth. And then rode the tilt-a-whirl. You can imagine what happened next."

Here's the kind of anecdote I can imagine telling my kid:

"When I was 11, I assumed the identity of a then obscure UCLA running back in AOL chatrooms. I convinced a lonely, obese black high school student from Florida that I was, in fact, DeShaun Foster. She became obsessed with "me" and often mused about flying out for a visit. When Foster become a breakout star -- 200 yards in a nationally televised game and shit -- the jig was kind of up. She was completely devastated."

Am I a creep or have the times just changed?

No comments: