Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Not counting black on black crime,

black people have such an affinity for each other. It's like this exclusive club and if you're a member, you're loved. You know, you'll be in Whole Foods. And you'll see the black woman behind the register's face light up. And she'll warmly offer a "Hey baby, how've you been?" and initially you'll think she's talking to you but then your brain determines that A) No human being has ever greeted you so warmly and B ) She's clearly looking toward someone behind you. So you get embarrassed and fidget around with the mint display. But then you turn around and sure enough, it's some black dude. Someone she probably knows less than you. But there's just this genuine celebration of commonality. I find it both reassuring and a little intimidating.

I wish Jews had the same sense of brotherhood. When we see each other at Whole Foods, it's more like oh shit, did that guy notice me? Fuck. He saw me. I'm going to have to talk to him. I hate that asshole. Whatever. I refuse to go over there. Maybe he didn't see me. I think I got away with it. Wait, is he actually leaving? Without coming up to me? That fucking dick. Who does he think he is?!

No comments: